As We’re Acclimatizing In The Laps Of Fall, How About A Wholesome Feast Straight From The Ancient Traditions Of Latin America and Spain? Serve It While Celebrating And You Will Become Everyone’s Favourite Host Of All Time.
Are you craving a wholesome meal for dinner this weekend? Or is there a group of friends coming over for lunch? Be it any occasion, the dish we’ve brought to you this time will be your perfect saviour – Arroz Con Pollo. The best part is that you can play around with this recipe just how you want.
Arroz Con Pollo
• 3 lb. chicken thighs and drumsticks (with bone and skin)
• 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Onion (finely chopped)
• 2 bell peppers of your choice (chopped)
• 1 cup rice
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1?2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 3 diced tomatoes
• 1 1?4 cup of chicken broth
• Black pepper
• Kosher salt
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 bay leaf
• Fresh cilantro (for garnishing)
1. The first step is to prepare the chicken with salt and pepper. Now, combine the dry spices; oregano, cayenne, cumin and garlic powder in a bowl and rub the mixture into the chicken.
2. Heat oil in a big skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for five minutes on each side or until browned. Remove and keep the chicken aside on a dish.
3. On the same skillet, cook onion and bell peppers for 5 minutes or until soft. Add minced garlic until aromatic, then put in the tomato paste.
4. Add the rice and continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf and stir well.
5. Bring it to a boil, then add the chicken back to the skillet.
6. Cover it and let it simmer on low heat for almost 30 minutes until both chicken and rice are done.
7. Make sure you stir occasionally so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan (add water or broth if necessary).
8. Once everything in the pan is cooked, turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf.
9. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve as you like.