Get Ready To Taste A Polish Dish That Will Melt In Your Mouth With Bursting Flavours. Read On To Know Which Recipe We Have Got For You This Month.
Food lovers! Prepare your taste palette for a sensory experience of flavours combined in clouds of dumplings – Pierogi. Known around the world for its different variations, this food belongs to Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe, where it originated.
Pierogi are stuffed dumplings that are formed by enclosing unleavened dough around a filling, with desired flavouring with a savoury or sweet garnish, and then cooked in boiling water or steam. So, let’s take a look at how this delicious delicacy is made.
Cottage Cheese Pierogi
FOR THE DOUGH:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• 1?4 cup water
• 1?2 tsp salt
• 2-3 tbsp of butter
• 1?2 tsp sugar
• 1 large egg for combining
• Black pepper
• Approx. 16 ounces of ricotta cheese or farmer’s cheese
• Sour cream
• Chives (minced)
1. Combine eggs, water and salt in a large bowl and whisk until blended properly. Now, knead a firm dough while adding flour
gradually. Let the dough rest.
2. Time to make the filling. In a bowl, add 1 egg, salt, sugar, and pepper while stirring in cheese and whisk it nicely.
3. Take the dough and divide it into 4 equal portions. Dust some flour on a surface and roll each portion to a 1/8 inch of thickness and cut with a round cooking cutter.
4. Fill each circle’s centre with 1 spoonful of the filling. Moisten the edges, fold in half and seal. Repeat with the remaining filling and dough.
5. In a pot, boil some water and add the pierogi in batches. Keep the heat low to simmer.
6. Cook the pierogi until they float on the surface of the water or until tender. Take them out gently with the help of a spoon.
7. You can saute or pan-fry the pierogi in butter garlic sauce, garnish with chives and serve them with sour cream.
• If your filling gets too watery, add some all-purpose flour for binding.
• You can play around with fillings. Instead of cheese, you can use boiled potatoes or your choice of meat as well.